Friday, July 1, 2011

Sushi in Nampa! I LOVE IT! (And I Don't Even Like Fish)

After picking up a coupon on Groupon or somewhere, my wife and I decided to try Simple Sushi in downtown Nampa,  a fairly new establishment  that features sustainable sushi. They even managed to pull an honorable mention in the best of Treasure Valley feature last week.

First, some background, after several years of encouragement our children have succeeded in getting us hooked on sushi. When we tried it the first couple of times at sushi restaurants I thought it was okay but I could not figure out why the kids loved it so much. Although I was surprised I did not hate it because I am not a big fish fan. If it tastes much like fish I do not like it. For example, take a nice grilled salmon, unless I have a pile of fruit salsa or something to mask the flavor, I can't get it down.

Now on the other hand my wife's catfish tacos are to die for! Now Costco has discontinued carrying catfish, what are we going to do?! But that is another story, back to the sushi.

So Simple Sushi was fine, everything tasted fresh,  quality appeared high, presentation was lovely, service was generally good. But overall, how do I say this?  I found the rolls sort of boring. I suppose the problem is we have gotten accustomed to the specialty rolls (they describe these as sushi rolls on "crack!") at IOU Sushi. (Also an honorable mention for best sushi, I guess I need to try the winner.) IOU which has been located in Boise, has also opened a Nampa location. They have a lot of sauces and flavors,  a wide variety and are great.  AND they offer "All You Can Eat," which in sushi is a good thing, at least to me.

[The above photo looks a lot like the tray I get at IOU] IOU serves the traditional Japanese cuisine with what they describe as an "island twist." Will keep on twisting because I love it!

Sushi is never inexpensive, and I like to have a nice variety and be satisfied when I am finished. With the all you can eat option I can enjoy both some specialty rolls along with some nigiri.

But the best part of all this is, Nampa now at least two excellent choices for sushi!  Maybe it should be sushi tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment