Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Three Sure Signs of Idaho Spring

As I was out driving around the Treasure Vally today, in addition to the beautiful weather,  I noticed what to me are three sure signs of spring.

First, as I was driving to do a price evaluation on a property in rural Canyon County, north of Nampa, I noticed 2 men out with their weed burner burning ditches.



Having been raised on a farm southwest of Kuna, I remember many times out burning weeds. Although it could easily be a hot, dirty job, as a youngster I never really minded it. I enjoyed controlling the flames as they would shout out, destroying everything in its path. Not only the dry weeds that would quickly explode in flames but also the green and growing ones. I found it interesting to watch them as they would turn from green to brown then disintegrate under the non stop propane fueled fire. It also was curious to me that no matter how hot the ambient temperature was the tank of propane was cool to the touch or to set upon. I also remember a time when my cousin was helping, he was much older than I and he was in charge. Which fact I held onto as we got too close to the haystack and it too ended in flames.

The next sign came as I drove over the Boise River into Eagle, it is always fascinating to see the river so high, as it generally almost always is in the spring as the Bureau of Reclamation releases water from Lucky Peak Reservoir to provide room for spring runoff and prevent flooding.

Finally, returning home I could deny it no longer, my lawn most assuredly needs mowing. For that sign me response is; "Dang it! Not already."

No comments:

Post a Comment