Saturday, November 19, 2011

Have you ever been to Huston? Huston,Idaho?

I have often driven on highway 55 west of Nampa towards Marsing, and just a bit before the highway makes the turn through the Sunny Slope area, I pass a small looking building sharing a driveway and parking with a farm house. On this building was the large sign stating  US Post Office Huston Idaho 83630. At the risk of alienating all the residents, or make that resident, of Huston, I send an open letter to the US Postal Service that perhaps this might be a place to start on their post office closing mission.

Good grief there is no town, no reason that I can see for having a post office out here amidst the farm ground.

I decided to stop in and purchase some stamps I was needing, and I was curious as to what the interior of this tiny post office looked like. Unfortunately, I came at lunchtime so the counter was closed, the postmaster presumably next door having her lunch.

I did snap a picture of the of the entire bank of post office boxes, perhaps more numerous than I expected.

I was then curious about this mysterious town of Huston, I had noticed previously the remains of Huston School, located about 1 mile north of the post office.



 

There is not a great deal of the school still standing, the exterior brick walls, minus the roof and interior walls.So now my interest was peaked as to this place called Huston. I had driven a number of times by a small cluster of houses and perhaps what had been a store but had never turned down through the four short streets that comprised what I now assume was the Huston town site. I am not sure why the post office moved 1/2 mile down the road, perhaps for the traffic of highway 55 or maybe more likely it went to where the post master lived.

Here is what the fading sign states is the Deerflat Merc. Next to it stands a building that may also have been some kind of commercial building at some time.

 

In front of it was parked this cute Huston fire truck.



 

All in all, there appeared to be approximately 15 houses clustered in this small former town.

So now I can say I too have been to Huston. I guess it is true what they say, everything really IS bigger in Texas!

 

 

5 comments:

  1. I grew up in Huston Idaho, the Deer Flat Merc was ran by Darlene, Roy and Judy in the 90's sold to Judy in the 2000's and then left alone and failed after that. Next to the Merc is my parents house, with the wagons, garden and trucks outside it, that was the Huston Coal and Feed store, built in 1903 as 2 separate buildings my parents combined them and built a second story for my brother and i to live in.

    Any questions i'd be happy to answer them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Deer Flat Merc was started by Preston N. Nicholes about 1917 before the Homedale & Marsing bridges were built, it sold everything. I was a route man for Eddys Bakery in 1966, this was a good store, Press and Roy ran the store. They were always helpful, if he didn't have something he'd order it. Press and Roy provided great service they sold lots of bread, milk, meats and dry goods, guns & Ammo. Press & his wife GeeGee lived down the street, he'd wired an alarm from the store to his house. Often burglars broke in his store at night, 73 year old Press held them at the end of his shot gun until the law showed up. Press's son who owned Bob Nichols Oil in Caldwell back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too lived in Huston. Our family moved to that little farmhouse next to the Post Office in 1975. My parents still live there, although my mom has now retired from her position as Postmaster. My grandmother attended that little Huston School when she was a girl and married Grandpa at the Deer Flat Free Methodist Church that is only 2 miles from the Post Office. When I was in high school at the end of the year I would help Roy and Darlene with the inventories at the Deer Flat Merc. Carl Tveidt family operated the Blacksmith store just west of the Merc building. Press Nichols was retired, but still lived at the end of the street. My mom, Connie Hill, could give you lots and lots of historical information about that area. The Post Office services not only the farming community, but the fruit and wine industry of that area as well. That little Post Office, at least while my mom was Postmaster, did quite a lot of revenue.

    One of my fondest and most vivid memories as a young teenager, is when I ran out of gas in front of Carl and Ann Tveidt's house. It is on the street just south of the Merc. I had my little brother and sister with me. I couldn't believe I had not noticed the gas gauge was on empty and that I didn't get gas when I was just at the store. So I had to suck up my embarrassment and go ask Roy if he had a gas can I could borrow; and if I could add some gas to my purchase. Carl got me a gas can and I went to put the gas in my car so I could get home. But when I took off the gas cap I thought it was weird that it looked like there was light coming through that little opening. I started to pour the gas in. I felt little wet splashes on my leg. I thought that was weird. So I watched as I began to pour more gas in and sure enough as I was pouring there was liquid splashing from the ground onto my leg. I then put the can down and got on my hands and knees to look under the car. There was a big, dark gaping nothingness where there should have been a gas tank. What to do? So, again very sick to my stomach with embarrassment I head back to the store. This time to whisper to Roy that I don't think I have a gas tank. Much to my chagrin, Roy bursts out laughing and says loud enough for all to hear, "Cyndi, you can't drive a car without a gas tank." So the store emptied while everyone walked across the road through the Tveidt's yard to where my car was dead in the road to find that yes, there is NO gas tank. You can drive a car without a gas tank for about a half of a mile if there is fuel in the gas lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr. Lowe,
    Yes, Huston is a special place, especially to those of us who have roots there. My grandmother Yvonne Hill, who just passed away at age 96, attended the Huston School as a girl. We grew up buying our groceries from Press Nichols and Roy and Darlene Stahn at the Deer Flat Merc. And I grew up in the house right next to the Post Office where my parents, Fred and Connie Hill, still live. My mom served as the postmaster for 25 years. If you are interested in more history and facts about Huston, my parents have much of that information compiled. Also, just so you know, the Post Office actually brings in as much or more revenue than other small town offices due to its convenient location and reputation for outstanding customer service built by my mom and Mildred Brown before her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great memories at the Huston Post Office. My parents still live next door and take care of and own the property that the post office sits on. Since I was 4 yrs old I grew up at that house. Getting off the bus and running in to tell Mildred Brown the post master at that time what fun activities we did at school that day. Then my mom, Connie Hill became post master and is now retired. The care and pride my parents have put into that property, a historical land mark of Huston, for sure! Not to mention the costumer service and friendly/neighborly help they have provided over the years. The Deer Flat Merc another great place of fond memories. Walking down to the store to buy groceries on our charge account, nothing like that in this day in age. Roy and Darlene Stahn, were always delighted to see us! For more historical info on Huston feel free to contact my parents, Fred and Connie Hill at 454-9001.

    ReplyDelete